Contact

Dennis Kaarsemaker

My take on git web interfaces

Last update on Oct. 21, 2012.

Like many people, I use github for managing my code repositories. It's a great tool to use, but it's closed source and I don't like vendor lock-in. So I mirror all my repos (using git-hub) and want a web inteface for that. However, when searching for git web interfaces, I found that most of them were ugly (gitweb), slow and unmaintained (Gitalist), closed source (Github) or tied into other products, such as issue trackers or complete project management tools (redmine).

I want a git web interface that looks better and is easier to customize than gitweb, but still remained just a web interface. Github can take care of issue tracking, I just want to be able to serve my repos from my own server, with a nice web frontend.

And thus Goblet was born.

Goblet is my take on a git web interface. Built on libgit2 and flask, it's easy to extend and customize. It currently does blob views (raw, or rendered) tree views, logs and snapshots.

For the design, I borrowed quite a bit from github. Given that I'm a lousy designer, this is probably a good idea. Though if the design is not to your liking, you can easily write your own templates to theme it and integrate it with your own website/design.

Next entry

Previous entry

Comments

1. jonathan

jonathan on 10/22/2012 12:20 a.m. #

Nice. Have you checked out Gitlab? I've been meaning to look at it for the same reason: http://gitlabhq.com/

But perhaps I'll end up using Goblet too :)

2. Dennis Kaarsemaker

Dennis Kaarsemaker on 10/22/2012 12:22 a.m. #

Yeah, I looked at gitlab. It's in the same category as redmine, wants to do too much. It's also fairly heavy on the system, which goblet is not.

3. claude

claude on 10/22/2012 3:37 a.m. #

Is the web interface named Gitalist instead of goblet ?

4. Graham Lyon

Graham Lyon on 10/22/2012 3:13 p.m. #

If your one issue with gitweb was how ugly it was and your one problem with github is a worry about vendor lock-in then surely http://kogakure.github.com/gitweb-theme/ is the answer to your issues?

5. Jason

Jason on 10/22/2012 3:48 p.m. #

Looks nice -- so where can we get it? I don't see a goblet repo at your git.kaarsemaker.net.

6. Dennis Kaarsemaker

Dennis Kaarsemaker on 10/22/2012 6:44 p.m. #

claude: Gitalist is another git web viewer, it's written in perl, slow and unmaintained.

Graham: ugliness isn't the only thing. It's also hard to extend github with things like rendering rst documents because it's one big monolithic piece of code.

Jason: it'll be up on there and my github soon. After one day of exposure there are some bugs to fix :)

Calendar